WORCESTER – All-Tournament Team selection junior Azita Bakhtyari (Andover, MA) recorded a pair of double-doubles while WPI was on the wrong side of a pair of five-set matches Saturday as part of the Worcester City Tournament, hosted by Worcester State. The Engineers fell 26-24, 20-25, 25-19, 18-28, 7-15 to the Lancers and 19-25, 26-28, 25-18, 25-23, 13-15 to the Fighting Scots.
WPI vs Worcester State
- The Boynton Hillers won the first and third sets.
- Bakhtyari handed out 29 assists and came up with 24 digs.
- Senior Brooke Klepper (Miami Beach, FL) led the attack with 13 kills followed by freshman Kate Amrein (Nashua, NH) with 12.
- Freshman Julia DeLo (Tulsa, OK) accounted for 17 helpers and nine digs.
- Junior Victoria Nassar (Salem, NH) shared match-high honors with 26 digs followed by Bakhtyari, and seniors Melissa Daigle (Norfolk, MA) and Kelly Rathje (Scituate, MA) with 22 and 19, respectively.
- Daigle also served up four aces.
- Worcester State received double-doubles from juniors Emily Carens (Northboro, MA) and Amari King (Lawrence, MA) with 20 kills and 24 digs, and 16 kills and 23 digs.
WPI vs Gordon
- The Engineers came back from 2-0 in today's matchup while they were up 2-0 last evening.
- WPI had the 8-6 lead at the fifth set court change.
- Bakhtyari posted 38 assists and 10 digs.
- Junior Casey Hunt (Granby, CT) delivered a double-double of 15 kills and 19 digs in her first match of the day.
- Freshmen Amanda Wetmore (Hudson, NH) and Sarah Kwatinetz (Seattle, WA) each totaled 13 swipes.
- Hunt was followed by Rathje and Nassar with 15 digs each.
- Sophomore Amanda Snyder (San Jose, CA), junior Jamie Tafoya (Fort Collins, CO) and junior Mackenzie Hinds (Higganum, CT) handed in kill-dig double-doubles for the Fighting Scots.
- Freshman Ashlyn Gergins (Murrieta, CA) chipped in with a double-double of 35 assists and 14 digs.
Beyond the Box Score
- It was WPI's (0-3) third five-set contest in the first two days of the season, and second versus Gordon (2-1) in less than 24 hours.
- Clark won the team title with a sweep of Gordon and Worcester State (1-1).
- WPI entertains Anna Maria Wednesday at 7pm
- Worcester State welcomes Rhode Island College Tuesday at 7pm
- Gordon hosts MIT Wednesday at 6pm
Photo Courtesy Worcester State