MIT's Second Half Surge Dooms Field Hockey


Cambridge, MA --- The MIT field hockey team scored twice during the first 12 minutes of the second half and then added two more goals with less than three minutes left in regulation en route to a 4-0 victory over NEWMAC rival WPI on Saturday afternoon. Senior Elizabeth Dethy (Morristown, NJ) led the way for MIT with two goals and an assist as the squad improved to 7-1 overall and 2-0 in league action. WPI, meanwhile, saw its record lower to 6-2 on the year and 1-1 in the NEWMAC. 

The hosts wasted little time in putting pressure on WPI's backline as a penalty corner a minute into the game resulted in a shot by senior Caitlin Mackey (San Diego, CA) that was stopped by junior goalie Lauren Puishys (Oxford, Mass.). MIT went on to record five penalty corners and three shots on goal during the remainder of the frame but the visitors' thwarted every attempt. 

WPI's first threat of the half came on a breakaway by junior Caroline Mazzola (Harvard, Mass.) but MIT sophomore Jane Coffrin (Cape Elizabeth, ME) met her at the 25-yard line and quickly stole the ball. WPI's next opportunity was a penalty corner with 8:44 left on the clock but it could not put a shot on net. 

The defensive battle continued into the second stanza as WPI fought off five penalty corners and four shots during the opening seven minutes. The Cardinal and Gray eventually ended the stalemate at the 27:50 mark. Freshman Emily Penn (Elkridge, MD) intercepted the ball and wove through several defenders before unleashing a shot that was stopped by Puishys. Sophomore Keeley Erhardt (Ann Arbor, MI) collected the rebound and sent the ball back into the arc. Puishys kicked it out but it landed right near Penn who redirected the carom to the far post. 

MIT increased its margin less than five minutes later following a pair of penalty corners. On the second bid, junior Siobhan Rigby (Richmond, VA) sent the ball to Mackey who quickly found Dethy for the farside strike. The game became a back-and-forth affair until the Cardinal and Gray capped the scoring during the final 2:31 of play. Puishys denied freshman Chiara Waingarten (Aventura, CA) on her first try but Waingarten came up with the loose ball and then set up Dethy for her second strike of the day. Dethy factored into MIT's final goal as she earned the assist on junior Morgan Gulliver's (Stamford, CT) marker with 15 ticks left. 

Junior Paige Kennedy (Eastchester, NY) earned the shutout without facing a shot while Puishys compiled eight saves for WPI. 

Following a 10-day hiatus, MIT returns to action on Tuesday, Oct. 7 at NEWMAC foe Wheaton College. WPI will also enjoy a short break before resuming conference play on the road on Saturday, Oct. 4 at Babson College.

Release Courtesy MIT Sports Information