Men's Soccer and Springfield Battle to Third Consecutive Scoreless Stalemate

Jake Steinberg

Springfield, MA --- In a rematch of the 2017 NEWMAC Championship contest, the Springfield and WPI men's soccer teams battled to a scoreless tie through 110 minutes of play at Brock-Affleck Field on Saturday afternoon.

With the tie, the Pride is now 11-3-1 on the year, and 4-1-1 in the NEWMAC, while WPI is now 10-2-3 overall, with a 3-0-3 mark against league opponents. The last three matchups between WPI have ended in scoreless ties over 110 minutes of play, as the last goal between the two sides was in 2016 when Keon Haji (Shrewsbury, MA) found the back of the net with 11:25 remaining to lift the maroon and white to a 2-1 victory.

The Pride held a 19-9 shot advantage over 110 minutes of play, as WPI was awarded nine corner kicks to Springfield College's seven. Both sides had seven fouls on the day. In net for the Pride, Stewart Frank (Pittsford, NY) made five saves, while his counterpart, Rufus Adams (Duxbury, MA) notched four stops in the draw.

WPI got the first scoring opportunity of the game as Spencer Ralphs (Simsbury, CT) put a shot on goal just 5:04 into the contest, but Frank was able to turn away the bid to keep the Engineers at bay. It was back-and-forth play until the 26th minute, when Ian Zacharewicz (Stamford, CT) launched a long shot on cage, but Adams was able to make the easy save to keep the game scoreless. WPI would pick up its second shot on goal in the closing minutes of the first frame when Frank stopped a bid from Jake Steinberg (Shrewsbury, MA).

Just eight minutes into the second half, WPI looked to get on the board with four-consecutive corner kicks from Frank Ciliberto (Spencerport, NY) and Mike Biando (Atlanta, GA), but the Pride's defense was able to lock down the Engineers and clear the ball away. The visitors would get the next two shots on-goal, before Christian Schneider (Douglas, MA) had the final chance of regulation, but once again, Adams was able to keep the ball from entering the net, leaving the two sides scoreless after 90 minutes.

Springfield dominated possession in the first overtime period, but was unable to put a shot on goal, before Brad Deckel (Lansdale, PA) put one on cage just 4:27 into the second overtime frame. With 1:44 to play, Zacharewicz had a header that was turned away by Adams, forcing the game to end in a draw.

WPI is back on the pitch Sunday with a trip to Mitchell for a noon match. Springfield will resume play on Tuesday when it hosts Endicott at 7pm.

Release Courtesy Springfield Sports Information