Women's Soccer Draws With MIT to Open NEWMAC Slate

Janine Fatal

Worcester, MA --- The WPI and MIT women's soccer teams played to a 1-1 double overtime draw on the opening day of NEWMAC action Saturday morning at Alumni Stadium.

With the result, the host Engineers move to 3-4-1 while Cambridge's Engineers are now 4-3-2.

The game remained scoreless until WPI sophomore Janine Fatal (Amesbury, MA) floated the ball over the keeper where it caromed off the crossbar and just past the goal line at 67:05. MIT responded in the 74th minute when freshman Olivia Struckman (Scottsdale, AZ) finished off a cross from senior Ambika Krishnamachar (Darien, CT).

The guests logged a trio of shots in the first overtime session while freshman Karina Larson (Storrs, CT) had the best opportunity of the frame with a shot on goal in the 99th minute. After junior Emily Doherty (Shrewsbury, MA) took aim in the 103rd minute, sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, NJ) swatted freshman Susannah Gray's (York, ME) 21-yard laser up and over the crossbar at 103:40. MIT looked to have the final say when Krishnamachar took aim in the 106th minute only to have it saved by sophomore netminder Abbey Teliska (LaGrangeville, NY).

MIT had a trio of quality shots in the opening stanza. At 16:00 Krishnamachar raced down the left side and fired a shot with her left foot but the ball went wide. Teliska turned aside a bid from senior Michelle Battipaglia (Katonah, NY) following a corner kick in the 33:34. Six minutes later, Krishnamachar had another chance, this time denied by the right post. WPI had an opportunity to end the half with the lead; however, sophomore Jane Bingel's (Wrentham, MA) shot was stopped by Ullmann in the waning moments.

Larson's corner kick in the 51st minute was deflected by Ullmann and hit the crossbar and went back in play. Two minutes later, sophomore Emma Turton (Mechanic Falls, ME) dribbled down the right side and sent in a shot only to be scooped up by Ullmann. In the 78th minute Teliska made a diving save on an attempt by Krishnamachar to keep the contest knotted at 1-1.

Teliska finished with seven saves while Ullmann also made seven stops. As a team, MIT held a 25-11 advantage in shots and a slim 5-4 margin in corner kicks.

WPI travels to Boston on Tuesday for a 7pm contest at Wentworth. MIT ventures to Springfield in a rematch of last year's NEWMAC Championship  title game on Saturday at 2:30pm.

Click HERE if the video does not appear below